October 24th, 2020
Want to reliably track key metrics for your business? Catch yourself checking analytics too often? Want your employees/co-founders to feel involved in the performance of the business?
Here’s a tactic I learned from a startup I worked at:
Create an automated daily email to yourself (and your team) which tracks how you did in the previous day (as well as MTD, YTD, etc).
- Sends every morning (with a cron job)
- Sends to the entire team
- Hacks together a bunch of APIs (Google Analytics, Stripe, etc)
- Is a constant work in progress (always adding new metrics)
- Enables a transparent culture
- Allows the team to see their own progress (if they work on a specific function), as well as progress of the business as a whole
- Exposes potential bugs or if something is going wrong
- Exposes trends in the business
How it looks: