June 1st, 2018
This blog post is an archive of this series of tweets that I wrote, so I apologize for spelling errors and strange formatting :)
May 2018 Income Report for @starter_story
- 💵 $421.75 Revenue (May)
- 👨💻 59 Interviews (+13 in May)
- ✉️ 1,838 Email Subscribers (+138 in May)
- 💻 202,703 Pageviews (+22,965 in May)
This is the biggest month so far, and I doubled last month's ~$200.
This is thanks to locking down a front page sponsor (@MastermindJam) and a newsletter sponsor.
The @Shopify affiliate program is also proving to be a nice source of income.
We published 13 new stories this month, a monthly record. 📈
Earlier in the month, I committed to publishing 3 stories a week (Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday)
Turns out spreading them out was a good idea, in terms of exposure and it felt like "less work"
Email subscriber growth is still slow. My subscribe rate is about 1.8% on average. Any ideas on how to make that better?
I also got help this month.
Shoutout to @alex_grossmann, who reached out on Twitter. He's helped me:
- Get more leads
- Implemented CRM inside Gmail (@streak)
- Editing and posting interviews
- Helping me work on more automation.
It's also nice to bounce ideas off each other.
Lately, I've been super motivated about the project:
I'm starting to work on some cool projects, such as:
- Moving to 'real' database and to Rails.
- Automate social media.
- Automate reddit, HN, Facebook group posts.
- Verification (preventing false revenue claims)
It's pretty exciting to think about the potential of @starter_story when a lot of the manual stuff is taken out of the way.
I think it can become a well-oiled machine! The tough part, though... revenue. That continues to be a very manual process.